Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Barack the Casbah

Today Barack Obama came to Raleigh. I happened to have the day off so I decided to walk the two blocks down to the rally. I was really excited because this was the first rally I had gone to. I think I read that 25,000 people were at the event. Everyone was smiling and there was a great energy surrounding the whole affair.
Everyone was pleasant. There was no pushing and shoving and everyone remained in the lines they put us in. I always have a problem with lines. I feel herded and controlled.
The crowd's energy was great and people of all kinds were represented. His speech was inspired and passionate.

I am thrilled that I had the opportunity to participate in this landmark event.

Amazingly there was only one protester. He had a large sign and on the back of it he had printed FREE SPEECH in large letters. Although I didn't agree with his sign I knew that he had just as much right to be there as we did. I was glad he was permitted to silently walk with his sign.
I was also obsessed with the security. It was crazy to spot guys in the crowd and on top of buildings.
Another crazy aspect of the rally was the "vendors". I would much rather give my money to the campaign itself and not the guys making their own version of merchandise. I did enjoy the stencil artist in the cool bus. Kudos for actually making a buck on something that isn't just a cheap imitation.


I also thought this was cool. Look closely and you can see where someone drew Obama's face in the dust on the glass. Pretty cool.

No comments: