Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Florida Vacation Day 1: Water and other liquids

We flew out of RDU airport on Thursday Night. I scrambled to get packed, and we had dinner and drinks in the airport. It was nice and we felt the excitement of a vacation as we unwound and smiled. We had a small layover in Atlanta, which I never mind because I love to people watch. It quickly turned into a mad dash because they changed our gate, but running across the people movers (while kevin raced us on the normal ground)was a lot of fun. We took off just as the sun was going down and the downtown lights were surreal and beautiful. My Mom and my Aunt picked us up at the airport and we spent a little time catching up with them and then crashed out for the night.
The next day started early. My Mom made a big breakfast and then we headed to the beach with my Aunt and her new husband. We cranked up Pink Floyd and knew the day was just going to be one big party.
The first beach we went to was cold and windy and we could see rain coming in the distance. It was beautiful... the water was black in the distance.

We drove a little further to another beach which was an example of Florida perfection. The sun was shining and the breeze was still blowing, but no sign of rain here! It was Phaedra's first time to play in the water, and she loved it so much.

This was a little inlet and the water was very blue. We explored an Indian Mound and I found amazing flowers to wear in my hair and a really great shell. Phaedra was very excited that she got to go out deep in the water with Kevin.

We then had a great lunch on the beach... fresh peel and eat shrimp and pitchers of beer! It was delicious!
Then, we headed back to the house and went for a dip in the pool. We packed a cooler of beer and spent hours enjoying the sun and the water. Next was dinner... my Aunt's famous salad and my Mom's famous broccoli cornbread. We also bought Key Lime pie and it was amazing.
We spent a few hours visiting with my cousin and Grandpa and then went to bed early (with a buzz from the beer, sun and water) for Disney the next day!

No comments: