Monday, March 19, 2007

introduction (biographies~ located at the end of non-fiction)

My first post is to introduce myself and tell you why I made this blog.

We all begin by introducing our selves by what we do for a living. I am a Young Adult Library Assistant in a public library. For those not familiar, that means I work with teens. I help them research, I recommend books and I plan programs to get them into the library. I want to share my book reviews, displays and programming ideas along with talking about library systems in general and the challenges working with this age group presents. I hope I will discover others who work in this profession and we can help each other and share our tidbits of wisdom with each other. I also love discussing what I read and would love to discuss my readings with others. I really do enjoy YA literature and read a lot of it, but I have also promised myself to read a few more "adult books" this year. I am going back to school in the fall to finish my masters in library science and I am very excited to be back in school. I love school and I would go forever because I always want to know more about something. Another reason I turned to Blogger is because I had a myspace page which I loved, but my library has recently blocked the site and I can no longer post on there while the desk is slow. (trust me, I will blog more about this later...)

Next I will tell you about my family. I have a 6 year old daughter and I will mention her a lot. I also hope I can use this blog to keep my friends and family up to date on our adventures. She is amazing... she started talking in full sentences before she was a year old and expresses her self amazingly. She has a very active imagination and a strong spirit of independance. She is all girl and loves pink, dolls, dress-up and shoes. She has an extreme sensitivty for animals that leads me to believe she will run a rescue mission or at least own a million strays. She is quite dramatic, but what do you expect from a child named after a greek goddess (her name is Phaedra). I am not married, but in a very committed relation to a man I live with. We create all kinds of art together and share an amazing relationship that is burning and alive with passion. He also has a 14 year old son who spends every other weekend with us. I have no family that lives close by but consider my close friends my family. I am very close to my mother and consider her one of my best friends and owe so many of my best qualities to her. We are living far away from each other for the first time in my life, which is hard. After my divorce, I lived across the street from her and I know that would drive most people crazy, but I loved it.

To get even more intimate, I am a very artistic person and do not feel complete unless I create everyday. I want to post my art on here and hope I get lots of feedback on it. I am always trying new ideas and perfecting old ones. I really enjoy altered art and mixed media collage. I love altered books and have several going at all times. I have recently explored painting and sculpture and have made a few "spooky dolls". I also enjoy photography and find pleasure on being on both ends of the lens. I also design and alter clothes, and love any excuse to wear a costume or express myself with my appearance. I also occasionally design and direct for theatre (I have my undergrad in Theatre Education K-12.) and love writing, watching and performing in performance art. I am also the lyricist and front person for an industrial band that my boyfriend concocted. We have found mild success and love creating together. It's not for everyone, but I invite you to check it out http://www.terrorcouple.com or http://www.myspace.com/terrorcouple To explain it a bit before you get totally frightened, it is based on the ideas of Antonin Artaud's Theatre of Cruelty. I take on an alternate personality when I perform and the music and live show is designed to force the audience into feeling something in this time of apathy and desensitization. As a female front person, I strive to challenge what is considered beautiful. While my performance antics are shocking, I do not rely on vulgarity, gratuitous sex or even bad language to express my ideas. My boyfriend is an amazing musician and writes all of the music. It is electronically based but adds some interesting elements of scrap metal percussion and power tools for instruments.

So that is a slight introduction of what I will be posting on here. I hope I've peaked your interest and you will be back to visit again.

No comments: