Friday, March 23, 2007

5 Questions about me... a meme

I am participating in this chainblog from ZEESAYS
If you want 5 questions from me, leave a comment and I will give you 5 different questions.

1. Tell me about one holiday tradition your family has that you think is unique.

We have several, so it is hard to choose one. My Mom was really disgusted by the politics of Thanksgiving and the fact that it seems to be such a sexist holiday where men watch football and the women cook all day. She revolted by creating the tradition that we go bowling on Thanksgiving.
One that I created for my family is to simplify things. My daughters birthday is the day after Christmas. We have a small celebration amongst family, where I give her a special gift, we light a candle and I tell her about the day she was born and watch home movies of her baby-days. We have a real party with friends and such on June 26th, her half birthday in the spirit of Alice In Wonderlands Mad Hatter Tea Party and sing "A Very Merry Un-Birthday".

2. What is one thing you regret?

This is a hard one, because I try to not regret anything. I feel the decisions I made are for a reason, and I just have to wait for that to be revealed to me. Don't get me wrong, I know I've made mistakes, but I don't regret them because they taught me something.

3. What is one movie you think all people should be required to see? Why? If it is not a movie that most people have seen, give a 1-2 sentence summary.

Hmmm... another hard one. I am really having trouble picking just one. But, I am going to go with REQUIEM FOR A DREAM. This is really a horrible movie, but that is why I like it. I think movies, theatre, music, literature, art, etc should have the power to totally grab you inside of it's world and this movie will do that. After watching it, you feel as if you have gone through everything the characters went through and you feel violated and dirty and thoughtfull. Somethimes it takes something very harsh to make people feel anything in the world we live in where we are constantly surrounded by media violence. This movie will break through anyones hard shell.
In short summary, it is about addictions and what they will drive you to do.

4. What is your favorite comfort food?

What woman isn't going to say chocolate? I prefer dark. But on a more original note, I like baked ziti or lasagna... especially my Mom's.

5. What is the scariest thing that's ever happened to you? How did you maintain the fear from overtaking you?

Another hard one. This question required a lot of thought. The scariest thing I ever did was leave my husband and enter the world on my own as a single parent. I decided to leave because he was abusive to me and did not want my daughter to see that. Knowing I made the right decision was the only thing that kept the fear of the unknown from taking over me. I had to be an example of a strong woman for her, and if that ment she had to go to daycare and life would be a lot harder, I knew it would be better for both of us in the end.

1 comment:

zeelibrarian said...

Great answers! I haven't seen Requiem for a Dream so I may have to watch that when I am in the mood. Thanks for being vulnerable and honest in your answers. And I love that fact that you guys went bowling on Thanksgiving. That is definitely unique.